Friday, December 07, 2007

Career Defing Crisis in Mission by Paul Keidel Review

Keidel's book brought up a lot of issues to think about. I enjoyed it so much that I made an outline of it so I could quick reference it. Let me know if you want me to send you the outline. So here are some thoughts on Keidel's book.

The first two chapters re-iterated thoughts I had already had, and information that I had been exposed to. I think those chapters (Language and Culture) are critical to people beginning their journey. I thought the next few chapter really broke down the missionary process (Telling the Story, Deciding for Christ) and brought out key debates (Social Gospel). I really enjoyed questioning the "three self model" (The Crisis of an Indigenous Church). Keidel flips these on their heads and showed their purpose, but inadequacy. I really enjoyed the cultural sensitivity, about transferring the power of the gospel into their cultural appropriate equivalences. The issues he raised about dependency (financially and dependent on the missionary). I liked in the end how he focused on the power of the gospel in our lives (as missionaries) and the clash of doing vs. being (in Christ).

I know that was general, I'd love to continue the conversation about specific thoughts/issues.

Allow me time to re-read it and think over the three self model and I'll add thoughts to it

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Adam:
I found your remarks about my book interesting. The French translation of the book is coming into public circulation by mid-April. God bless you as you serve Him with the gifts and passion from Him. Paul Keidel

4:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Adam:
My book in French came out this week (April 7) on www.editionscle.com.It's title; "Les defies de la mission interculturelle"..I made reference to your blog site so that if people want to see what you think about the book they can read your good article. Thanks, Paul

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home